Friday, March 15, 2013

Re-vive

I propose adding the concept of "revive" to the mantra "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle."  There's much from our collective past that's worth bringing back again.  Once upon a time, road travelers were entertained by Burma Shave signs.  I would give much to see them back again, and ubiquitous on highways and byways.

I cracked open my old Highway 17 Almanack & Gazetteer which I acquired when I lived, 'lo these many years ago, in Santa Cruz.  Therein I found a nice collection of Burma Shave sign transcripts.  Here are a few of my favorites:

       1939
 At crossroads
   Don't just
 Trust to luck
 The other car
May be a truck
  Burma Shave

     1943
 Big mistake
 Many make
Rely on horn
   Instead
  Of brake
Burma Shave

       1952
     Why is it
    When you
   Try to pass
 The guy in front
Goes twice as fast
   Burma Shave

No comments:

Post a Comment